Obsessions and Contradictions

I'd like to welcome everyone to the inaugural edition of Shards and Phractures.

What is this blog for? Basically, it's a place for me to rant and vent about the things that annoy me, and cheer on--or maybe just babble about--the things that don't.

Writers write. They need to write; it's almost an addiction, or maybe obsession is a better description. A cool color combination in the sunset, or an interesting phrase from the morning DJ...anything can spark an idea, and lay the foundation for an essay, or an article, or a novel...

I am a writer. I've been a writer for as long as I can remember (I had a third grade school principal tell me that one day he was going to read a best-seller written by me). I've tried to deny it, by putting down the pen for months or years at a time. I've also tried to support it--I originally got into computers to "support my writing habit," and I now have over twenty years of experience playing with them.

So, Shards and Phractures is my outlet, my place to write about...well, whatever it is I'm going to write about. Some days I'll talk about photography and share some of my pictures. Other days I'll rant about politics, or education, or some news story that caught my attention.

Sometimes I'll probably jump in and get right to the point, and other times, I'll go off on a meandering side-story tangent that has practically nothing whatsoever to do with whatever it was I started talking about. Heck, some days, I'll probably just brag about my kids--I've got six, I've got a lot to brag about.

Who am I? I am a bundle of contradictions.

I've never been the first across the finish line, or hit the winning shot at the buzzer. I've never sky-dived, bungee-jumped, or gone spelunking. But I did learn how to ski in the Swiss Alps, and I've also dangled from a cable, a hundred feet over a river, moving at 50 miles an hour.

I've never changed the course of human events. But I was present at the births of all of my children--which is closer than I'm ever going to get, and ultimately, more important to me anyway.

I don't fit anyone's pre-conceived notion of who I am or who I should be. I'm my own person, no masks, me and nothing more.

Thank you for stopping by, you're all always welcome here. I hope to entertain and enlighten, and if I'm really lucky, even inspire. And I hope I never commit the one unpardonable sin of boring you.

-=ad=-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pikers and Rikers and Jazz, Oh My...

Nicky Weird: Harvest Moon

Society for Creative Anachronism at the JAV RenFaire